AC Milan directors Paolo Maldini and Frederic Massara are working to see if they can find a good solution to the issue that they are currently facing in the defensive department after the unfortunate injury of Simon Kjaer.
The club is aware of the importance of the experienced Dane centre-back who brought much stability to Stefano Pioli’s system since his arrival and is studying the best move in January. There are many profiles being followed all over Europe. In fact, many intermediaries and agents know that Milan are on the hunt for a new central-defender, and some even came forward offering their clients.
The truth is that Milan and Frederic Massara don’t have a real number 1 target on their agenda yet, actually as they are waiting for Elliott’s ‘ok’, instructions, and allocation of the January’s budget. However, some players are highlighted in red anyway at the moment.
Here are some players that are on the radar in view of the coming transfer window:
- Mattia Caldara: The 27-year-old AC Milan loanee at Venezia seems to have returned to a good physical shape this season and he can be an option for the Rossoneri at 0 cost.
- Bremer: The Torino centre-back who is 24 years old has impressed AC Milan very well this season especially after facing Pioli’s team on October 26. However, signing him would be difficult as Urbano Cairo works to extend his deal (which expires in June 2023) in order to be able to sell at a higher price.
- Dan-Axel Zagadou: The French centre-back who is 22 years old is an interesting choice. AC Milan scouting department are well aware of his true qualities and potential. His performances with the Bundesliga outfit, Borussia Dortmund, have been mixed with no real continuity given to him to prove himself. The German side is willing to give him another chance to redeem himself. But, watch out for any developments as the Rossoneri appreciate his characteristics and profile. The PSG youth academy product has his contract expiring at the end of the season.
- Sven Botman: The Dutch 21-year-old star of Lille, former teammate of Mike Maignan is also on the agenda. His pricetag is too high for now (in the region of 35 million euros) but AC Milan directors may try to work out some sort of an advantageous operation with the French side using the excellent relationships between the two clubs. Lille would prefer to keep their centre-back for this season, unless an important financial offer arrives. Milan are not the only club following him. In fact, Newcastle and AS Roma are also keen.
- Nikola Milenkovic: Fiorentina’s Serbian 24-year-old centre-back is an interesting profile as he is appreciated by Frederic Massara and Paolo Maldini. The competition to land him is also a difficult one as Premier League clubs such as Tottenham and West Ham are on him.
- Andreas Christensen: Signing the Danish 25-year-old centre-back would be a great hit for the Rossoneri. The directors would like the opportunity to snatch him from Chelsea. The Premier League side, however, want to keep him and will work harder to convince him to stay. The salary could also be an obstacle for the Italian club.
As we said earlier, many profiles are being monitored by the club scouts and managers. These names are a long list of targets. AC Milan’s choice and future moves will be clear once Elliott sets the strategy going into January’s transfer window. More updates will arrive in the next few days and weeks.